Tuesday 28 October 2014

WEEK 38, 39: CANCELLATIONS & NAVS #30


Airline Prep
The last week and a half has brought more poor weather and therefore cancellations annoyingly. There's been a lot of waiting around and many hot chocolates have been drunk. The frustrating part is that if you're going out for a solo nav, you still have to spend a good couple of hours planning the damn thing just to go and get cancelled due to bad weather. I've flown just twice in 17 days and have been booked in for one or two flights each day pretty much.

The two latest flights I have done though have been excellent, both solo navs. One was a reverse of the dual I did to Rotorua and Tauranga (the triangle of death). I did a touch and go at each airfield which was good fun and just managed to creep back to Hamilton between the ranges and the lowering cloud base. I enjoyed that flight as it kept me busy and I got to see some cool scenery. However, it had nothing on my last flight which is by far the best flight I've done now!

Rotorua Lake

Rotorua

The Luge 



Departing Hamilton



We had a rare day where there was barely a cloud in the sky nor a breath of wind. I flew out to the east coast then up to Great Barrier Island, back down the west side of the peninsular to Thames, across to the west coast to Raglan then back to Hamilton. The views I had were absolutely sensational! It just seemed to be an endless string of gorgeous little coves and beaches with some high ground close by. I really wanted to land at one of the many small airfields and just spend the rest of the day on the beach.
My route to Great Barrier







Great Barrier Island

Great Barrier Airfield


Coromandel 






Raglan








I of course have squeezed the odd round of golf in as usual with my golfing buddies James and Kieron. For my day off last week James and I had a 36 hole match play game which was very tight. Probably one or two shots in it, very exciting stuff. If there was a crowd there would have been lots of finger nail biting. We must have played a solid eight to nine hours of golf that day! My legs were very sore.
Spot of volleyball 
The whole of CTC had a day off on the 27th due to some national holiday or something. Our CP had a rare night where we all got to hang out together which I really enjoyed. It's been too long since we all hung out at the same time. We went to a bar a few hundred metres up the road from Clearways and seemed to have the whole place to ourselves. It was great, there was a snooker table, pool table, darts board, air hockey, TV with music and a few comfy sofas to relax on and chat to each other. We all had a really good night together. Top bunch!

For the day off, myself and a couple of other cricket fans went to Seddon Park (Hamilton) to see a one day international between New Zealand and South Africa. We had a good view of the pitch and there was some good cricket before it was abandoned due to the rain. Typical!

Seddon Park

The forecast for the next few days doesn't look great but fingers crossed I get to fly soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment